Request an Appointment
Guidelines for Selecting a Periodontist-Implant Specialist
Is the dentist recognized by the Academy of Osseointegration as a Fellow?
You can check by looking up the doctor on the Academy of Osseointegration’s website here.
Has the dentist met all the requirements to earn this title?
Applicants must have the following prerequisites:
- Applicant must be a qualified DMD/DDS/PhD or equivalent, with a minimum of ten years, actively involved in dentistry, in either a clinical or research setting, or working in an implant related academic position for a minimum of three days/week. Excluding post-graduate training/research
- Applicant must be a member of the Academy of Osseointegration (AO) for five (5) consecutive years.
- Applicant must have attended a minimum of three (3) Academy of Osseointegration Annual Meetings within the last seven (7) years
- Applicant is required to provide supporting testimonials from two (2) current Fellows of the Academy of Osseointegration
Is the dentist a diplomate for the American Board of Periodontology?
Simply check by looking up the physician on the AB of Periodontology website, here. Diplomates must have the following prerequisites:
- Prospective candidates will need to complete the ABP Qualifying Examination Application Form
- ABP Qualifying Examination Attestation Form
- ABP Qualifying Examination Credentials Form
- Candidates must successfully pass an oral examination
Has the dentist been in practice for a lengthy amount of time?
Length of time in practice is another factor to include when choosing a provider to treat your periodontal needs. There are many periodontists who have only just started their own practice after completing certification processes. These new graduates maybe up to date on the most modern treatment techniques. However, they may lack the experience with the non-standard or more complex cases. You may also have a difficult time locating reviews online from satisfied or dissatisfied patients regarding the standard of care.
Does the dentist have a personal touch? This is something that only you can asses during an in person consultation. Periodontics is often an area of oral health that may take many sessions to effectively treat. A top periodontist will take time to fully explain both the recommended treatment plan and the rationale behind it. Staff should make you feel at ease and decrease any anxiety you have regarding dental procedures.
Why is this important?
- They are involved in the “cutting edge” as well as the latest technology in their field.
- The placement of a dental implant involves inserting an orthopedic device into the jawbone; bypassing vital structures such as nerves, blood vessels and sinuses. In the hands of a properly trained and credentialed dental specialist this procedure is straightforward and minimally invasive involving minimal post-operative discomfort. Be smart and do your homework.
- In addition to four years of dental school, periodontists also complete at least 3 more years of specialized study
- Periodontists are also highly trained in a wide range of cosmetic procedures.
Periodontist-Implant specialist in South Jersey
Dr. Alan Meltzer has made momentous achievements exceeding the mandatory educational requirements of the specialty and is certified by the American Board of Periodontology. To learn more about Dr. Meltzer, or to request an appointment please contact (856) 772-9444.